Highlighting has long been one of the most popular staining methods. This technique is simple. Its essence lies in the clarification of individually selected strands from 2 to 8 tones. Thus, you can get a light play or a sharp color contrast, which visually increases the volume and refreshes any haircut. Because of the seeming simplicity, many are trying to make highlighting at home. But not everyone gets a good result.
To distinguish masterfully performed highlighting from the home eyes of an experienced barber can always. And all because doing it yourself, most women make the same mistakes:
- Unequal indentation from the roots. The clarifier is usually applied 1-2 cm away from the roots.. With more modern techniques - ombra and shatush this distance can be much more. But it must always remain the same, otherwise the hair appears unevenly regrown.
- Wrong strand width. Lined strands over 5 mm wide look coarse. And if they are too thin, and even thickly taken, then the effect of an uneven blond is obtained. Moreover, the whole strand is never lightened - it is always “stuck through” with the sharp end of the comb.
- Uneven brightening. Most often it turns out when the composition was applied too long. Chemical reaction from the moment of dilution of paint lasts up to 40 minutes. If you work slowly, then the strands that were painted in the last turn simply do not have time to discolour to the desired degree.
- Yellowness after highlighting. There are many reasons why it appears: poor-quality paint, violation of the technology of dyeing, too dark original color, reaction of the brightener with previously applied pigment.
- Strongly burned hair. It is obtained if the percentage of oxidizer is chosen incorrectly or the composition remained on the hair longer than the time specified in the instruction. Lifeless tow on the head is formed if you make highlighting earlier than 2 weeks after perm or dyeing with ammonia paints.
There are several secrets of how to make self-highlighting at home correctly. And it all starts with proper hair preparation.
Preparing for staining
In order not to spoil the hair during highlighting, it is advisable not to wash your hair for 1-2 days before the procedure. But it is important that these days hair do not have lacquer and other styling products that can interact with the oxidizing agent. A natural layer of sebum will create a thin protective film that protects the hair shaft from severe destruction.
It is very important that the scalp is intact. With the correct dyeing technique, the lightening compound should not fall on it and the hair root, but at home everything happens. And if the skin has sores, redness, etc., then the oxidizer can cause severe irritation. If you are prone to allergic reactions and paint for the first time - it is better to pre-test.
On very dark hair, highlighting looks unnatural and easily acquires a yellow tint. Partially solve the problem can preliminary use washes, which slightly brighten the entire head.
A wash is also needed when the hair has recently been painted in any dark or very bright color (red, eggplant, bitter chocolate). It is safer for hair to use it 2-3 days before highlighting.
When buying a clarifier, make sure that it is a quality product with the current shelf life in undamaged packaging.
It is important to choose the percentage of oxidizer in order not to burn the hair. For light and fair-haired 6% is enough, from dark-blond to chestnut - 9%, and dark brown-haired women and brunettes will have to use 12% concentration, which greatly increases the risk of hair damage.
Before starting the procedure, make sure you have everything you need. When the first smear is already done, it is necessary to work quickly and carefully. Distracted, and even more to spend time searching for missing accessories, it is impossible.
What you may need:
- Drape to protect clothes,
- rubber gloves for protecting hands,
- plastic paint bowl
- brush for applying the composition,
- clips for fixing hair,
- wrap wrapping foil,
- comb with a long tail,
- brightening compound
- regenerating balm
- 1-2 terry towels.
Important! For some types of highlighting, additional accessories may be required.
Different dyeing techniques
How to make hair highlighting at home, we will tell in detail on the example of classical techniques. More modern techniques differ from it only in some subtleties. Therefore, the one who masters the technology of highlighting on foil will be able to easily perform more modern variations of this coloring: Californian, balayazh, and shatush.
Classic highlighting is popularly called highlighting on foil. It is very important to cut it in advance into strips about 3 cm wide and a couple of centimeters longer than the length of the colored strands.
Next step to do the following:
- cover the neck and shoulders with a cape, wear protective gloves on your hands,
- carefully comb your hair, and short - be sure to comb at the roots,
- to separate the bangs and the occipital zone,
- fix excess hair with clips,
- dilute the brightening compound according to the instructions
- on the top take a strand of desired width
- put under the strand of foil and the tip of the comb to perform darn,
- remove excess hairs, apply a lightening compound on the rest,
- wrap the colored strand in foil and fix it on the head,
- to paint over thus the occipital zone, then the lateral and last - bangs,
- withstand the paint required time, periodically checking the degree of clarification,
- remove the foil, carefully wash off the remnants of the composition under running water,
- Apply a reducing balm, after 3-5 minutes wash your hair again, dry and set.
Depending on the length and thickness of hair in the salon, this procedure takes up to one and a half hours. When highlighting hair at home, you should also try to keep within this time, otherwise you can burn your hair a lot.
A simplified version, which is great for short haircuts and hair up to 15 cm in length (for example, a classic car), is highlighting on the cap. For him you will need a hat with holes (disposable from cellophane or reusable silicone) and a hair hook or a comb with a metal needle at the end. They can be bought in specialized stores.
Such highlighting is performed in an open way, so the foil is not needed for it. A cap is put on the pre-combed hair and with a knitting needle or a crochet through the holes, thin strands are pulled out. Frequency and thickness can be adjusted at will.
When the whole head is prepared, dilute the clarifier and put it on the sticks sticking out from under the cap. Having sustained the right time, the composition is washed off, without removing the cap. Then it is removed, a reducing balm is applied, after 3-5 minutes, the hair is washed again. All the procedure is finished, you can dry and style hair.
A cap with a small hair length is also convenient when coloring. Not only the brightening compound can be applied to the elongated strands, but also resistant paints of selected shades, thus creating interesting transitions. With the right combination of colors, you can get a brilliant result, no worse than expensive salon.
The essence of Californian melirovanie - to create the effect of sun-bleached hair. In this case, only light clarification of randomly taken strands is made. Experienced masters offer for home use the easiest and fastest way to perform such highlighting. You will need a round brush with a combined bristle - a longer plastic and a short natural one.
Hair must be washed, dried and combed thoroughly. Dilute the brightening compound and apply with a brush on a round brush. She combed the hair from top to bottom, evenly distributing the composition through the hair (here the bottom setae come to the rescue).
It is necessary to repeat the procedure as many times as necessary in order to process the entire zone of clarification. When the desired shade is obtained, wash the hair, treat it with a balm and dry it.
Remember that California highlighting looks beautiful only on blond hair - to medium blond. On a dark head of hair, instead of a natural burning effect, it will create the impression of faded lifeless hair, and if you overeat the paint, you can get bright yellow spots on your head.
Ombre and Shatush
With some skills, you can try to independently perform at home and more sophisticated highlighting techniques - obmre and shatush, which allow using a gentle method to partially brighten dark hair and create fashionable stylish images. They are suitable for smooth or wavy hair length from the shoulders.
To get the shatush, thin strands are randomly selected all over the head, to which the brightening compound is applied with light brush strokes, as if smearing the paint from top to bottom.
Foil is not applied, highlighting is done in an open way. The distance from the roots is chosen arbitrarily - strands can be lightened along the entire length or only in the lower third.
With ombre, the color transition from dark to light is clearer, so the strands are colored from the middle or only at the bottom. At the ends, the amount of bleached hair should prevail, therefore staining begins with them. As it rises, the paint seems to stretch and the strokes become more and more light. It is very important not to forget to feather the border between dark and light tone - it should not be too harsh.
Important! Shatush and ombre in the home version are quite different from the salon. Therefore, if you value your own hair and do not want to spoil it, it is better to trust a good master.
Bug fixes and care
If, despite all your efforts, you still made mistakes and are not too happy with the result obtained at home, there are two options - go for professional help or try to correct them yourself. The first is preferable, but sometimes it is simply not necessary.
Light yellowness can be quickly removed using toning or the use of “silver mounts”.
A good effect is given by professional or homemade whitening masks, which can be applied 1-2 times a week. Toning spray will help not only to hide the color defect, but also to improve the condition of the hair.
Worse, when it turned out unequal distance from the hair root. Here, without outside help is not enough. The master will have to tint the necessary areas and make sure that the degree of clarification along the entire length of the strand coincides. So in this case it is better to go to the salon.
In no case do not try to completely fill in the unsuccessful highlighting yourself. Lightened hair is looser in structure than unpainted, and after 2-3 washes it will appear again. A good hairdresser will suggest alternative ways, for example, coloring or going to a blonde.
Care and prevention
Even if you managed not to burn your hair - provide it with more careful care after highlighting: refuse ironing and curling, more often indulge with masks, protect from the harmful effects of the sun and wind.
Strongly affected hair can be given professional help: perform shielding, biolamination or Botox. But even after them, you need to continue to regularly take care of your hair - this is just an emergency measure, which allows you to instantly regain lost shine and elasticity.
Types of hair highlights
There are many different variations of the procedure, but the main types of highlighting at home are:
- Brondirovaniye - staining with many colors, which is carried out in the framework of natural colors. The popularity of the procedure is constantly growing; it allows you to create stunning shades for any color of curls. Blondes use bronding in light tones: nutty, light coffee, wheat, amber. Brunettes choose chocolate, light brown, brown with a copper tint, the color of coffee.
What you need for home highlighting
Beginners who are worried about how to make highlighting at home correctly, you need to prepare all the necessary tools and materials at once. Professional kit for painting includes:
- cap or foil (depending on which technique is chosen by you),
- comb with rare teeth,
- plastic bowl for breeding funds (metal cup can not be used),
- gloves (medical or cellophane),
- clothing protection
- balm or quick-action regenerating mask,
- hair clarifier (9-12% for dark, and 3-6% for light).
How to make the highlight of the house itself
The most common types of highlights are:
- Through the cap - the easiest technique even for beginners. With the help of a cap, they dye dark and light hair up to 15 cm long. The stretched strands are dyed in one color, you can make this procedure available to yourself.
- With the help of foil - the type of staining with the use of special paper is practically any: it turns out to make both monophonic and multi-colored. Disadvantages: the procedure is not suitable for short hair, and for wrapping it is better to ask for help from a girlfriend or mother, it will be difficult to roll up the foil itself.
- A brush - foil is not needed, staining is carried out on the air with a special brush and various dyes to give the curls a glare and overflow.
- Special combs - are used for coloring by overlaying them with a dye. The procedure is convenient to do myself.
How to highlight hair with special paper? You will need:
- powder and oxidizer (thin hair - 4%, light - 4-6%, dark 8-12%),
- paint brush
- combs - 2 pieces (with a long narrow handle to stretch the strands and for separation),
- paint bowl,
- towel and protection for clothing.
Especially for you step by step instructions:
- Wear protective clothing or a towel over your shoulders.
- Cut the foil into strips longer than your hair by 20 cm, bend the edge of each strip inward by 1 cm so that the brightener does not fall on the scalp.
- Following the instructions on the dye cook it.
- Divide the entire volume of hair into zones, fasten each one with a barrette.
- Use a long comb to separate a thin strand from the hair.
- Lay the foil under the strand, the folded paper should be at the base of the hairline.
- Paint the strand, fold the foil in half, fasten it along the edges.
- Upward retreat 2 cm and paint over the next order.
- Do the procedure over the entire head.
- Wait for half an hour, unfold each “pocket” and wash it away, but you do not need to remove the foil.
- Remove all the paper, wash your hair with shampoo, apply a balm and dry the hair.
Through the cap
If you have hair up to 15 cm long - this is the most optimal way of monochrome coloring. In addition to the special cap with small holes, you need:
- composition for dyeing
- special paint brush,
- comb with a long thin handle,
- paint bowl,
- Shoulder cover with a towel.
- Put on the cap and, thanks to the thin tip of the comb, stretch the thin strands into the holes. If you want a slight shading - use every third hole of the cap, the middle one - every second, intensive - completely everything.
- Prepare the coloring composition according to the instructions from the package.
- Apply paint brush to hair.
- For a light color, hold the paint for 15 minutes, for intensive paint - 45 minutes or more.
- Rinse the locks with water, being in a hat, blot wet hair with a towel.
- Remove the cap and wash your hair with shampoo, then apply a mask or balsam.
Peculiarities of hair care after dyeing
Streaked hair requires special care and you need to exclude bad habits that harm them. The nuances of care for colored strands:
- Do not comb your stiff comb, choose a wooden one.
- It is impossible to comb with a wet head.
- Drying with a hair dryer should be used very rarely, curling, ironing - under the ban.
- Take care of your hairstyle from a long stay in the sun.
- Wash the head too often is not recommended.
- Perm and dyeing at the same time prohibited!
- Shampooing is best done after the painting procedure after three days.
- Use balms, masks, oils and chemical protection for your hairstyle to protect against dryness and negative environmental influences.
Photo: highlighting on dark, light and blond hair
For highlighting fit any hair color. It doesn't matter if you are a brunette, brown-haired, blonde, the procedure will suit everyone. Choose the appropriate color, type of color, and everything will work out. The girls in the photo with different types of hair dye demonstrate that pick up a new style of hair will be all. Among the variety of tones there is both extravagance and classical coloring - the choice is yours. Celebration is chosen and celebrities who love the original changes in appearance.
How to choose a good color
The right shade in the hairstyle can give the image shine and freshness. Otherwise, the opposite effect will be achieved: all the bumps and reddening will be visible on the skin, the face will begin to look sick, and the look will be dull.
It is better to adhere to the rule, when at a time the color changes by no more than 2-3 tones from the base. It looks more natural, and even if an error was made, it can be easily corrected with the next coloring.
Most often, the shade is selected under the color type of skin. To find out which hair tone will look better (warm or cold), you need to look at your skin: is it pinkish or beige? In the first case, it is better to give preference to cold shades, in the second - warm.
The color type can also be determined by the color of the veins on the wrists: if they are blue or blue, then you need to be painted in cold shades. If the veins are greenish, then give preference to warm shades.
Blonde hair is the easiest to dye and does not require strong lightening. Honey, golden or caramel tone will be suitable for a warm color type. For cold - beige, ice or silver. However, it is worth remembering that the Nordic blond visually adds age and it is worth wearing it very carefully.
Reddish-skinned skin will brighten the strands, which will give the desired effect of glow and freshness. All shades of red and red are suitable for green and brown eyes. Wood shades look more natural. Ginger color strongly highlights all redness on the face, freckles and age spots.
Bright shades are better for using to young girls, but not ladies in age.
All shades of chocolate and cognac-caramel tones (warm), eggplant and black wing (cold) are suitable for brunettes. Chestnut is a universal color that goes to almost everyone. These are chocolate, coffee and nut shades, and also caramel, honey and amber. To hide gray hair fit natural light wheat shades. If it is a little, usual toning can help.
Peculiarities of coloring depending on the length of hair
So that the result does not disappoint, you should pay attention to some features:
- long hair can be tinged with strips of foil 5-7 cm wide. Hair that is not needed at the moment can be picked up in the tail or stabbed. After painting one part, other curls are released and the highlighting procedure continues. On such hair the best look natural smooth play,
- Contrast colors with clear borders look great on short hair. This way you can drastically change the image by painting only a few strands. The best looks symmetrical pattern, as opposed to long hair, where the welcome chaotic coloring,
- medium-length hair is suitable for both contrasting and natural. Any of the options for coloring, if the shade of paint is chosen correctly, will look good.
Small or frequent?
The width of the strands and the frequency of the gaps between them depends on the quality of the hair and the desired effect. Rare is most often used for thick hair to emphasize color depth and volume. For thin and weak hair, frequent highlighting is suitable, where the width of the strand and the gap between them is 1-2 cm. Thus, the effect of a larger amount of hair is achieved and the visual volume of the hairstyle is added.
Frequent highlighting for a couple of tones changes the overall shade of the hair, since it lightens from 40% to 60% of the total volume. For a smoother transition after the lightening procedure, you can again toned hair in one color. From minuses it is possible to allocate the big labor-intensive and long preparation.
This method perfectly masks gray hair and is often used to restore the natural color.
With a rare highlighting colored large strands. Depending on the coloring technique, the transitions between shades can be contrasting or smooth and natural.
Highlighting in this version is quite difficult to do to yourself at home. It is also worth noting that there will be practically no effect of volume with such coloring, therefore the method is not very suitable for thin hair.
Materials and tools for home highlighting
For self-staining is better to choose professional kits designed for home use. The mixture must be mixed strictly according to the instructions immediately before application. It is not subject to storage and repeated drawing.
At home, highlighting is best done with unpainted hair, because the result will be more predictable. Since the last dyeing should take at least a week. During this time, the hair at least partially restored, and the paint is sufficiently neutralized so as not to affect the new one.
The darker the hair, the more concentrated the clarifier solution should be used. Maximum 12%. Accordingly, for light hair is better to choose weak solutions.
For highlighting at home you will need the following:
- Coloring set consisting of a brightening powder, a developer, a brightening cream and a nourishing mask.
- Comb or stripper to highlight strands to be clarified.
- Bowl of ceramic, plastic or glass for breeding chemicals. Metallic will not work, because the reagents can react and lead to unintended consequences.
- Brush for applying brightener and paint.
- Rubber or polyethylene gloves.
- Cape on the shoulders so as not to stain clothes.
- Barber cap with holes through which you can evenly allocate strands of hair.
- Hook for pulling strands from the cap. An ordinary plastic crochet hook is quite suitable for this. Instead, you can use the long handle barber comb.
- Comb with rare teeth to distribute the dye on the head during coloring.
- Foil strips in which colored curls will be wrapped.
- Hairpins and clips from plastic, elastic bands.
- Vaseline or fat cream to protect the skin from redness in the hairline.
There are different types of combs that are used for highlighting:
- a comb on the one side with frequent teeth, on the other a thin long handleWith the help of which you can select a strand of any width the most popular comb among hairdressers. But with her work is slower and there is a high probability of uneven selection of strands,
- hairbrush with hooks designed to highlight small strands. It looks like a regular comb with rare teeth, with hooks at the ends. Before you use it, you need to select the curl that you want to highlight, enter a comb from the top and lead it a little sideways so that the strands stand out,
- comb-fence created specifically for home dyeing. Most often there are three sets of teeth of different widths, with and without hooks. To use it, you must select a strand on your head and enter the comb from the bottom up. Strands that have collapsed to the base of the comb, and are intended for coloring,
- comb spatula separates small frequent strands and helps in the distribution of dye along the length of the hair. It looks like a scoop with fine teeth,
- stripper. It is a comb with several columns of teeth, which has a special nozzle with spaces. With its help paint is distributed on a hairbrush. This comb is used most often for basal highlighting, as it allows to achieve uniform indentation and finely colored strands. To use a comb, you need to put a nozzle on it, take paint on the brush and apply it over the nozzle. Remove it (part of the paint remains on the comb) and hold through the hair in one motion,
- regular comb with rare teeth It is also good for highlighting, but with it the result will be more unpredictable, and the paint will not fall as smoothly as when using professional tools.
Hair preparation for highlighting
Highlighting should not be carried out on absolutely clean hair, since their natural protection is lost. It is better to wash your hair 1-2 days before the procedure. To avoid redness on the skin of the face, you need to smear the forehead and temples in the hairline with petroleum jelly. So chemicals can not harm the skin.
Shoulders are covered with an unnecessary towel or an old T-shirt to protect clothing. Behind you need to place a couple of mirrors, and around to provide free space so that during the procedure, nothing interferes.
Prepare brushes, cap (if required), comb and containers for mixing brightener and paint. Wear rubber gloves and prepare the mixture according to the instructions, strictly observing the proportions.
Highlighting at home itself is better to start from the back of the head along the part towards the forehead.
For the correct action of the highlighting solution in the room where the dyeing is carried out, it should be at least 20 degrees. If the hair had faded before, for their safety it is better to use a gentle shampoo. But then the process of staining will need to be carried out more often - up to 2-3 times a month.
Coloring technique through the cap
- A special hairdressing cap is put on the head. Depending on the desired effect, the frequency of the selected strands is selected, which are pulled out with a thin comb or hook.
- A brightener is applied on the inverted strands.
- Wait for the time specified in the instructions.
- Without removing the cap wash the solution. Remove it and rinse the head well.
- Apply a restoring mask or conditioner.
Highlighting itself with foil
- All hairs are divided into zones and secured with hairpins. It is better to start along the parting from the nape.
- Foil should be specifically designed for hair coloring, food is too thin. The length of the strip exceeds the length of the curl by about 20 cm, so that it can be conveniently wrapped up.
- Select several strands, lay the edge of the foil at the root under the curl and paint with a brush. Bend the foil around the edges so as not to dye neighboring hair. Wrap it up, folding 1-2 times. Proceed to the next row.
- After distributing the dye to all the hair, wait for the time specified in the instructions.
- Try to wash the brightener off each strand without removing the foil from the rest of the curls.
- After the initial rinsing, wash off the paint completely.
- Apply a hair repairing agent.
Highlighting with a comb
- Prepare the mixture, comb with rare teeth or a special (stripper), cover the shoulders.
- Apply paint to the comb and hold it in one motion along the entire length of the hair, starting at the roots.
- Spread the paint all over the head. Wait for the time specified in the instructions.
- Carefully wash your hair with shampoo and apply a reducing agent.
Highlighting with gum
- Divide the head into zones and pick up each in a ponytail using ordinary hair ties.
- Prepare the solution and brush, cover the shoulders.
- At the ends of the tails to apply the tool, wait for the time according to the instructions.
- Rinse the head well and apply a regenerating mask or conditioner.
Highlighting with the help of braids
- Divide the head into zones and weave pigtails from them, starting from the parting.
- Apply the cooked clarifier over the braids.
- Wait for the time specified in the instructions.
- Wash it off with shampoo and apply a hair mask.
Coloring hands without auxiliary items
Highlighting in the home itself can be done without special combs and brushes. In the freehand technique, the brightener is applied directly to dry, laid hair.
There are 2 types of highlighting by hand: frost and glazing.
Frost looks good on curly hair, adds volume and beautiful transitions.
To perform the staining in this way:
- Wet hair
- Blow dry, head down.
- From above, lightly apply the prepared solution over the hair, while inside the strands do not need to paint over.
- After waiting, rinse the head and apply a regenerating mask.
Glazing is more suitable for short haircuts:
- Apply the styling foam and dry the hair, head down.
- At the fingertips, apply the prepared highlighting solution and put it on the ends of the hair. This can be done in several stages, calculating the duration of the mixture according to the instructions.
- Rinse the head thoroughly, apply a mask.
This technique is similar to Californian highlighting, but it has a sharper color transition and a stronger degree of change in the base hue.
Looks good on dark hair, which can be toned in chocolate, honey, red, and so on up to white.
It is executed in the following order:
- Hair should be clean. You can make bouffant thick scallops to make color transitions smoother.
- After applying the composition over the entire head, you need to wait for the time specified in the instructions.
- If you have done a pile, you need to comb it before washing. To do this, apply air conditioning on the head. After all the hair has been unraveled, you can wash your hair and apply a regenerating mask.
This technique is similar to ombre, but with a more obvious contrast between the roots and the tips:
- All tools except foil will be needed. Together with the clarifier you need to prepare a means for toning.
- Randomly take a few strands of 1-2 cm around the parting, stab them and make a pile. Apply the clarifier, stepping back a little from the roots. Do the same with the rest of the strands.
- Wait for the instructions, wash out the clarifier.
- Apply a tone and wait for the right amount of time.
- Rinse the head and apply a reducing agent.
Highlighting at home in itself in this version is quite simple. Only the strands at the roots are painted.
Suitable for regrown hair, masking gray hair or for refreshing the image without major changes. The remaining mass of hair is not stained.
The order of highlighting:
- Prepare the clarifier, tools, cover the shoulders.
- Separate several strands along the parting, add foil under them, paint with a brush and wrap a curl. Proceed to the next row. At the same time, it is not necessary to paint the entire length, it is enough to lighten a few cm from the roots.
- After waiting for the time according to the instructions, wash off the paint and apply a mask.
How to achieve color without yellowness
Immediately it should be said that when bleaching dark hair, it is almost impossible to avoid a yellow shade. However, this is solved by the subsequent toning of the lightened areas of the hair and the right care. But for blond hair, the bleaching procedure is not always necessary, as it happens that the usual toning is enough. However, yellowness may appear on such hair.
Highlighting itself at home should begin with the fact that a few months before it is necessary to abandon chemical curls, ironing, pleyok, varnishes and gels, as well as shampoos containing sulfates in the composition. Lightening should take place on healthy hair.
Often highlighting of light hair forms yellowness, which can be eliminated by toning
To remove the light yellowness, which arose due to improper staining or incorrectly chosen tone of paint, you can use special tint balms. They can partially or completely extinguish the yellow color in the hair.
But if the hair is lightened for the first time, the effect of the balsam may not be completely. In this case, you need to either carry out the discoloration again, or use the paint with the desired shade next time.
Care for melirovanny hair
First of all, it is necessary to apply a regenerating mask on hair after dyeing. In professional sets of paints it is included. Next, you should use special tools to restore and maintain colored hair.
You can also add vitamins B and D to shampoos and masks to improve the structure of the hair and its speedy recovery. Therefore, it is recommended to wait at least 2-3 months before the next dyeing.
The technique of highlighting is quite simple in design and therefore suitable for home use. And although it takes a bit of experience to paint itself, after a few attempts everything will definitely work out.
Video about hair dyeing at home
Technique of highlighting hair itself using foil:
Ombre tinting with braids:
Highlighting without cap and foil: is it possible?
The classic technology of highlighting short and medium hair suggests using a plastic or rubber cap with holes. You can buy it or make it yourself using a regular shower accessory.
Fine locks are removed using a hook, after which a coloring composition is applied to them.
A foil is put under each curl; after the paint is distributed, it folds and folds.
Without air access, the depigmentation process is more intensive, the hair is quickly lightened.
However, experienced colorists are not limited to the classic way., using other improvised means or doing without them. Among their advantages:
- ease of use
- the possibility of dyeing even very long hair, which does not suit the method with a cap,
- the lack of foil makes the procedure less traumatic,
- Original technologies allow creating smooth color transitions or more clearly highlighting the roots, which is important in some types of highlighting.
Trying new techniques, do not lighten your hair too much. It is enough to change the color to 3-4 tones. Girls who are accustomed to the classic technology of highlighting, alternative methods may not seem too comfortable. However, with careful distribution of the composition, proper selection of colors and compliance with the exposure time, the procedure will be successful.
Before you start work, you should go to the salon and update your haircut. Some experts recommend not to shorten the hair too much, because after bleaching may require re-correction.
Alternative methods are ideal for highlighting with the effect of natural burnt hair: Californian, Venetian, French. The technique is also used for the shatusha, which provides for smooth transitions from darkened roots to bright ends.
What is needed for work?
As alternative methods, you can try highlighting with a comb or rubber bands, as well as bleaching with a pile or without it. To carry out the procedure at home you will need:
- protective peignoir or towel
- mixing tank
- plastic gloves
- brightening powder or paint
- oxidizing agent,
- flat brush with long synthetic fibers,
- plastic comb with a handle and long sparse teeth
- frequent comb,
- hair ties.
At home it is convenient to use not a brush for paint, but an ordinary toothbrush. It allows you to gently distribute the composition, coloring every hair.
It is advisable to equip the workplace 2 mirrors, allowing to evaluate the view from the back of the head. Ensure good lighting. If the hair is very thick, it is worthwhile to attract an assistant who will help to apply the composition to the occipital and crown areas.
See how this can be done with an ordinary toothbrush:
How to do staining at home?
Girls for those who wish to achieve smooth color transitions and add a missing volume to their hair, we can use highlighting with a comb. This technique is worth trying for those who are just experimenting with clarification and want to avoid mistakes that are difficult to correct.
- Brightening powder or paint is mixed with an oxidizing agent in a ratio of 1 to 2. The manufacturer offers the exact recipe, it can be found in the instructions.
- Shoulders are protected by a barber or cape towel.
- Hair is carefully combed and divided into 4 zones, for convenience, they can be fixed with hairdressing clips.
- The strands are alternately released and combed with a comb, on the teeth of which a brightening compound is applied. Movement go from the roots to the tips.
- The exposure time depends on the desired effect. Typically, the drug is left for 30-40 minutes, for a strong clarification may take 1 hour.
- Strands are thoroughly washed with running water with a mild shampoo, and a nourishing balm or conditioner is applied to them.
- The hair is dried in the open air. Wet curls are best not to comb, to avoid tearing and breaking.
For processing the strands on the back of your head may require the assistance of an assistant.
Further tips on how to make highlights using a comb:
With rubber bands
Those who want to get the effect of emphasized dark roots with light strands will suit highlighting with elastic bands. It is done very simply, the presence of an assistant is not necessary..
- First, prepare a mixture of paint with an oxidizer. The composition should not be too liquid, otherwise it will flow and ugly spots will appear on the strands.
- Clean hair is carefully combed, medium-sized strands stand out and are tied at the roots with rubber bands so that the tail is made.
- The paint is distributed over the free part of the tail, it is applied by brush or brush, making smooth movements from the bottom up. The drug should go straight, without any leaks and bald spots.
- The composition is aged from 20 to 40 minutes.
- The drug is washed off under running water, then the tails are untied and the strands are washed again.
- A balm or conditioner is applied to wet hair, aged for several minutes and also washed off.
- Strands are best dried in the open air without using a hairdryer.
Shatush with a pile
Shatush method involves applying a bleaching composition on the pile.
This ensures a smooth transition of colors.
Wool method is not suitable for thin, confused, porous hair. When you try to comb strands, they will be pulled out by whole bunches.
- Clean hair is combed, at the roots the comb is made with the help of a frequent comb.
- Pre-mixed paint is distributed by brush or brush.
- After 20-40 minutes, the hair is thoroughly combed and only then washed with shampoo. If you do the opposite, the curls will be impossible to unravel.
- Mandatory stage - a generous portion of a restorative balm.
Recommendations for different hair lengths
For very short hair, highlighting with a comb is suitable.. It will provide a play of color, the transition from the roots will be smooth, without sharp contrasts.
Very long hair is convenient to handle using rubber bands.
This method does not confuse the strands, light curls are quite pronounced, but when mixed with the bulk of the hair, the effect is natural.
Medium length hair is comfortable to dye after pre-combing.. Free brush highlighting is suitable, this method is especially good for straight strands.
Curly hair is better to fasten with rubber bands. Curls camouflage color drops, dark roots look natural. It is not necessary to comb curly hair, strands will be difficult to unravel.
In one hairstyle you can combine different ways. For example, locks on a face can be lightened with the help of a foil, and the bulk of the hair can be treated with a comb.
Tips for those who want to brighten the strands themselves
To make accurate highlighting and not correct errors, it is important to work carefully, without haste. All necessary accessories are prepared in advance.This will allow not to be distracted and not nervous.
Before the procedure is to undergo a course of hair treatment. It will be required after highlighting. The longer the bleaching composition is aged, the more hairs suffer.
Before you begin to self-lightening, you should visit the salon and watch the work of the master. It is advisable to choose a hairdresser, where they work on the same preparations that you plan to use for home highlighting.
It is not necessary to use professional marks.. Beginners fit kits for home highlighting from manufacturers with a good reputation. They do not require the purchase of tools, the kit includes everything you need, from an oxidizing agent and a balm to protective gloves.
Possible errors: how to avoid and fix them?
When self-highlighting possible errors that affect the final appearance of hair and condition of the hair. The most common disadvantages of home lighting include:
- uneven color
- too visible roots
- dull, brittle, split ends,
- noticeable yellow tint of bleached strands.
The reason for the deficiencies may be the wrong exposure time, too aggressive dye composition, unsuccessful shade of dye, poor hair condition before the procedure, inaccurate application of the composition.
Most of the errors can be corrected without re-highlighting:
- To remove the yellowness will help toning with a concealer with a purple undertone or washing the hair with a tinted shampoo of the corresponding shade.
- To correct the unfortunate shade toning will help sparing ammonia-free paint. The tone is selected depending on the color type. A wide range of tinting paints offer professional brands.
- Glossing or lamination with a colorless corrector mixed with cream-activator will help make the curls more vivid, elastic and shiny. The procedure strengthens the strands and protects them from damage.
Expected result and follow-up care
All types of highlighting without foil provide a smoother color transition. Clarified strands will be less contrasted, when mixed with the bulk of the hair, they will create the effect of natural burnout. If the staining technique is observed, the result will remain up to 3 months. Growing out, the curls will not look untidy, because the roots are not lightened intentionally.
For the care you need to use only products for colored hair. It is necessary to purchase not only shampoo and balsam, but also a deeply regenerating mask, which is used 1-2 times a week.
To give the strands shine need lotion, which is applied before washing. It smoothes keratin scales, warns the section and breaking off.
Highlighting without a cap and foil is perfect for those who want to achieve a natural result with smooth color transitions. There are several ways to create colored overflows or intentionally isolate the roots.
Where to begin?
Of course, in the cabin will be able to update your image much faster. However, there is no guarantee that the result will perfectly suit the beautiful person. But the fact that she will have to pay a lot of money for the procedure is a fact. That is why many ladies prefer to experiment on their appearance on their own, believing that if something goes wrong, it will not be very offensive.
Here only procedure of highlighting is not so terrible. The main thing is to understand the technology. But first you need to prepare the necessary attributes. After all, just buying a brightening agent in a store, in a hurry to put it on your hair and wait as a result of a great result is silly. And even the adage about the fish subtly hints at it.
So, for the implementation of the highlighting procedure at home you will need the following tools and materials:
- old clothes that covers the shoulders and neck
- plastic comb (comb, not a brush),
- plastic, glass or ceramic bowl, necessary for the preparation of the brightening mixture,
- special brush for applying the composition,
- bleaching agent for hair,
- durable and comfortable rubber gloves (suitable ones that are enclosed in a box with a brightening agent).
In addition, it is very important to remove all metal objects (gold or silver chains, earrings, bracelets, rings) before highlighting the procedure at home (on dark or light hair). And one more important moment - you need to apply the mixture on "stale" hair, that is, you should not wash your head for three or four days before the procedure.
What are the treatment options?
If the beautiful person decided to change the image with the help of highlighting, it is important for her to know what the procedure involves. But for this it is necessary to understand what technologies of highlighting in home conditions exist.
The most convenient and simple ones are carried out with the help of:
- plastic bag,
- hair ties,
Of course, professional masters use several different methods, but it is important to understand that in their case the situation is much simpler. And not at all because they have been learning mastery for years. It's all different. In that they do not make their own highlights, they paint another person, this is much easier to do. After all, a similar situation is with hairstyles. How many original options can be made to a friend, sister or daughter. And which of them will turn out just as well on your own hair?
That is why, reading the following instructions, it is important to think about how to make highlights at home. Will it be possible to perform the necessary manipulations yourself? Perhaps, it is better to call your friends for help and think together with them to think out a plan of action.
Highlighting with foil
The first technology that we explore, to implement at home is very difficult.Rather, at the initial stage, when we process the locks around the face, everything works out perfectly. But when we go to the parietal and occipital parts of the head, the nerves stretch to the limit, and it seems as if one wrong move will lead to a catastrophe.
However, highlighting at home with foil allows you to achieve excellent results. After all, in the end, the hair looks very worthy. Therefore, it may seem to many acquaintances that the procedure was carried out in an expensive cabin, and not on their own at home. In addition, it is the best and most convenient option for highlighting long hair. On the short he does not fit.
Thus, it can be said that this technology is difficult to implement, but the result is worth it. And if our reader decided to use it, he should prepare hair clips and foil, cut into strips. They should be ten centimeters longer than hair and curved about one centimeter from one side.
Highlighting procedure with foil
If the warnings described above did not frighten the beautiful person, and she nevertheless decided to change her appearance with the help of the technology described above, we proceed to the detailed instructions.
So, how to make highlighting at home with foil:
- We put on old clothes.
- We part the clarifying mix.
- We divide the hair into zones.
- Stabbing each with its clip.
- Wear gloves.
- Separate the first curl.
- Lift it up and lower it already onto a strip of foil, which should be pressed to the roots of the hair with a curved end.
- We brush with a brush on the prepared curl.
- We fold the foil in half, fix it so that it does not unfold and interrupt the bleaching process.
- Now take up the next order.
- We retreat a short distance from the roots and repeat the actions described, continue until we touch all the zones.
- Withstand the mixture for the time indicated on the bleaching agent.
Highlighting with the package
This technology is considered the most convenient. However, it is absolutely not suitable for long hair. But with short it allows to be controlled once or twice. And the result is excellent. In addition, such highlighting itself at home is quite simple. That will be very useful if a beautiful person is used to acting solely on her own.
To perform the technology will require a plastic bag. Its size should be determined independently. Because everyone's heads are different, and we will need to put a bag on this particular part of the body.
So, having understood the most important tool, it is necessary to properly prepare it. For this you need to make a lot of holes in it. The main thing is that they are not located too close to each other. After that, you can begin to highlight hair at home.
Highlighting procedure with the package
If a beautiful person has a hair no longer than fifteen centimeters, then she is recommended to dwell on the technology described above. Which involves the following actions:
- Put the package on the head.
- Using a comb or crochet hook, we pull it out through the holes of the hair strand.
- Cooking bleaching mixture.
- Apply it on the hair.
- We withstand a certain time.
Highlighting with elastic bands for hair
In recent years, the “regrown roots” effect has gained unprecedented popularity. To make such hair highlighting at home, you need to prepare a lot of rezinochek. After all, it is thanks to him that we will be able to experiment with the saturation of color, create original transitions, revive the hair with bright tints. This technology is great for beautiful ladies with hair, the minimum length of which reaches the shoulders, and the maximum - to the shoulder blades. However, with a skillful approach, even girls with short and long haircuts will be able to try out this type of highlighting at home.
Highlighting procedure with elastic bands for hair
To perform the following technology, it will be necessary to carry out such manipulations:
- The most important rule of this method is as follows - the hair can not be styled otherwise than the girl usually wears. That is, it is important that the parting remains strictly in its place.
- Then we divide the hair into zones, necessarily observing the line of parting.
- Now we are preparing the clarifier.
- Apply it on the tails, trying not to go to the root area.
- We stand the right time.
Highlighting with a comb
This way to change the image of many girls use with caution. Therefore, it is simply impossible to predict whether the result of the procedure will be pleasant. After all, it is not known how the paint will behave, whether it will be possible to achieve a smooth transition and whether there will be a spotty coloring. However, this option to highlight itself at home is the easiest to do. Therefore, some beautiful people still decide to try it. If you follow the technology described below, you can get an excellent result that will appeal not only to you, but also to your friends.
Highlighting procedure with a comb
If a beautiful person finally decided on this option, she should carefully read the instructions. After all, only in this case she will be able not to be terrified, having seen the fruits of her labors.
So, how to make highlighting at home itself:
- To begin, it is important to prepare a comb with wide teeth.
- Then mix the components of the decolorizer.
- Soak the brush in the mixture.
- Hold it on the teeth of the comb.
- Then comb the mixture on the hair. However, it is important to do this in one motion, departing from the roots about a half to two centimeters.
- To maintain the mixture on the hair for a specified time.
However, it is important to note that experts advise that you first test this technology using a weak lightening agent. If you like the result of the procedure, you can try a stronger composition. The main thing is to wait at least two weeks after the first highlighting at home. Apply a bleaching mixture to dark hair with extreme caution. This will avoid unpleasant consequences.
A way for professionals
We already mentioned earlier that the eminent stylists bypass the described options. They perform manipulations very quickly and easily, so they do not need a “flap” in the form of a plastic bag, foil or hair ties. But what is the way professionals choose? And how to make at home hair highlights that the masters use?
One of them is called "California." According to this technology, the bleaching agent is applied directly to the hair with a brush. And the whole further clarification process takes place in the natural environment. That is, the head is not covered with a film or a towel.
How to make hair highlighting at home? Very simply, you only need to prepare a special composition. Then with light movements, holding the brush parallel to the hair, apply it to several strands. The main thing is not to touch the unpainted parts of the curls. Then wait for the necessary time.
We used to think that it is possible to make only the brightening highlighting at home. A photo of the standard staining option was suggested above. But eminent stylists rush to convince us otherwise, insisting that we are not afraid to experiment with color. What should be understood by this expression?
In fact, everything is simple. Recently, it has become very fashionable to decorate your hair with contrasting or even unusual tones. For example, honey and eggplant highlights. On dark hair at home it is easy to do it, you just need to lighten the curls in any way described above. And then put on the strands tint balsam tone "eggplant".